US fighter jets strike underground Houthi storage sites in Yemen
- March 23, 2024
CENTCOM says American forces also destroyed UAVs in areas controlled by the Iran-backed rebels, intercepted missiles fired toward Red Sea
The US military said Friday it had struck three underground storage facilities used by Yemen’s Houthis, as the Iran-backed rebels continue to launch attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.
According to a US official, the strikes were carried out by fighter jets that took off from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier, which is in the Red Sea.
In a statement late Friday, US Central Command said its forces also destroyed four unmanned aerial vehicles in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
The head of the Houthi supreme revolutionary committee, Muhammad Ali Al-Houthi, said earlier there had been “reckless” US-British attacks on Yemen. The Houthi-run Saba News Agency said US and British aircraft had launched five raids on Hodeidah, the area where Yemen’s main port is located.